subject: Post from Dr. Roy U. Mena re: Evolution of Solar System

Replies 11 - 20 (out of 43 total)

Robert L. Sharp
1/22/2004 10:55:36 AM

Dr:
Ok, so we drew out the individual orbits of the planets around the sun,
starting with Mercury,Venus,Earth,Mars,Jupiter,Saturn,Uranus,Neptune
and then on to Pluto. Now what?
I don't know about the Comet. Is it on a larger arch than Pluto?
Robert

Robert L. Sharp
1/22/2004 11:03:24 AM

Or is it traveling in a more straight line?
Robert

DocMoriarty
1/22/2004 11:56:08 AM

[is this making sense? ]

Not really.

Halleys Comet :

- Perihelion distance: 0.587 AU (closest distance to sun), approx 587 % of earth distance to sun
- Orbital eccentricity: 0.967
- Orbital inclination: 162.24
- Orbital period: 76.0 years
- Next perihelion: 2061
- Diameter: 16 x 8 x 8 km

It takes Pluto 248 years for one orbit around sun, so guess Halley is well within in our solar system.

DocMoriarty
1/22/2004 11:57:41 AM

Halleys closest distance 58.7% of earths distance to sun, not 587.

Doc

Robert L. Sharp
1/22/2004 12:02:56 PM

Doc:
I guess class is over for the day. No more input lately.
Robert

Dr. Roy U. Mena
1/22/2004 12:05:37 PM

wait we started with just a Sun and no planets. ( when I described orbits at distances I used the current position of the planets to help you gauge the orbital distances) you should currently only have one planet in your system

We will call that planet

Enola

So to review :

Comet Enola with Inertia started from the bottom right towards a Sun with no Planets, as it passed the Sun it, it had its Inertia Solarly (Electromagnetically) Redirected to the bottom left and finally resulting in a Conceptual Orbit. This placed its orbits around the average distance of Pluto ( actually even further out and more oblong but we don't need to get that technical right now )
It then compressed its orbits until they were at approximately the distance of Mercury. once it achieved its final closest orbit that is the point we are at.

So you should have a new piece of paper with the sun and a tightly orbiting planet called Enola. Now I will show you how to get a moon and another planet. When we are done you will the be able to go back and put the names on them.

Remember if Earth is 4.5 billion years old we are currently talking about a time may 100 billion to a trillion years ago when Pluto was first being conceived. Does this help?

DocMoriarty
1/22/2004 12:23:50 PM

[100 billion to a trillion years]

Just a little reminder, Universe is approx 12-13 billion years old, unless you know better, of course ...

Doc

Robert L. Sharp
1/22/2004 12:24:47 PM

Doc:
You completely lost me on the 100 Billion or even a Trillion year timespan???
We (the universe) ARE old.
Robert

Robert L. Sharp
1/22/2004 12:33:50 PM

Dr:
If the Earth is approximately 4.5 billion years old, and the universe as we know it, is
approximately 12-13 billion years old, (the universe, and time being theoretically
infinite) why are you using this time frame of 100 billion-1 trillion years? Why not
just go back 15 or 20 billion years? Why 1 trillion? Most people can't even think
in terms of trillions, or even billions for that matter.
Robert

DocMoriarty
1/22/2004 12:34:16 PM

Yes we (the universe) are old, but not older than 12-13 billion years when everything came into existance with a big bang. Thats the farthest distance that we can see, 12-13 billion lightyears, light coming from there is as old as the universe.

Doc

Replies 11 - 20 (out of 43 total)

Return to General Discussion Homepage

Ads help to support this site: