Summary: Key UFO books and catalogs.
RESOURCES - READING
1) 1964: UFO Evidence. Report by Richard Hall, of NICAP (National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena - now defunct.) 746 classic cases from the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s reported by pilots, engineers, scientists, etc. Well documented. NICAP files are now archived by CUFOS.
2) 1968: Congressional Hearings. July 29, 1968. Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects, Hearings before the Committee on Science and Astronautics, U.S. House of Representatives, Ninetieth Congress. Included testimony and prepared papers by Drs. Hynek, McDonald, Carl Sagan and other scientists. The very detailed and well documented McDonald Report summarized the best documented UFO cases up to that time.
3) 1969: Condon Report. Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects, conducted by the University of Colorado under the direction of Dr. Edward U. Condon. Includes 117 well documented cases, reviewed by aeronautic experts, physicists and astronomers. Dr Condon's well publicized introduction attempted to disclaim the UFO phenomena, yet 30% of the cases admittedly could not be explained by any "natural" theory. (Published by New York Times/Bantam Books, 1969.)
4) 1984: Clear Intent. The first book, by Lawrence Fawcett and Barry Greenwood, to publish the declassified UFO files of the U.S. government. (Reprinted by Simon & Schuster with the title The UFO Cover-Up, 1992.)
5) 1987: Above Top Secret. By Timothy Good. World wide cases, very detailed and well documented. Originally published in England. (American edition published by Quill William Morrow, NY, 1989.)
6) 1988: Uninvited Guests. By Richard Hall, Aurora Press.
7) 1990-96: The UFO Encyclopedia, Three Volumes. By Jerome Clark, Apogee Books.
RESOURCES - CATALOGS
1 - UFO Sightings:
UFOCAT. Computer catalog of raw UFO sighting reports from around the world, initiated in the 1970s by Dr. David Saunders. It has over 50,000 reports from five continents and is currently maintained by CUFOS.
2 - Ground Traces:
Catalog of UFO landing cases where plants and soil were affected, initiated by Ted Phillips in the 1970s. It has approximately 4,000 reports from several countries. The last printed catalog was published by CUFOS.
3 - Pilot Cases:
NASA scientist Dr. Richard Haines has kept a computerized catalog of UFO sightings by military, civil, test and private pilots since the early 1980s. More than 3,600 cases have been logged, including many in which electromagnetic effects were also detected by the aircraft instruments. Dr. Haines has published several papers on aspects of his pilot UFO catalog.
4 - Vehicle Interference Catalog:
Mark Rodeghier of CUFOS compiled in 1988 a catalog of 441 UFO reports in which car engines, batteries or radios malfunctioned in close proximity to a UFO. A preliminary listing was published by CUFOS.
5 - Medical Injury Catalog:
Engineer John Schuessler of MUFON has compiled a catalog of close encounters in which the witness(es) suffered physiological effects and/or injuries. 400 cases were contained in the 1995 version of the catalog. A sample of the Medical Catalog was published by Schuessler in the 1995 MUFON Symposium Proceedings.