Recommended SETI Reading
Summary: A list of recommended reading on SETI related topics.
SETI League Publications:
Books: (see also our Book Reviews section)
- Billinghan, John, editor, Life in the Universe. Cambridge, MIT Press, 1981.
- Bova, Ben and Byron Preiss, editors, First Contact. New York, New American Library Books, 1990.
- Bracewell, Ronald N. The Galactic Club. New York: W. W. Norton, 1976.
- Davies, Paul, Are We Alone? New York: Basic Books, 1995.
- Drake, Frank and Dava Sobel, Is Anyone Out There? New York: Dell Publishing, 1994.
- Gamow, George, The Creation of the Universe, Revised Edition. New York: Viking Press, 1961.
- Harrison, Albert A., After Contact. New York: Plenum Press, 1997.
- Heidmann, Jean, Life in the Universe, English Language Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1992.
- Heidmann, Jean, Extraterrestrial Intelligence. New York: Cambridge University Press, Second Edition, 1997.
- Holmes, David C. The Search for Life on Other Worlds. New York: Bandam Books, 1966.
- Hoyle, Fred, The Intelligent Universe. New York: Hold, Rinehard and Winston, 1983.
- Jesperson, James and Jane Fitz-Randolph, Looking at the Invisible Universe. New York: Atheneum, 1990.
- Kraus, John, Our Cosmic Universe. Powell, OH: Cygnus-Quasar Books, 1980.
- Kraus, John, Radio Astronomy, 2nd edition. Powell, OH: Cygnus-Quasar Books, 1986.
- Kraus, John, Big Ear Two. Powell, OH: Cygnus-Quasar Books, 1995.
- McDonough, Thomas R. The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence: Listening for Life in the Cosmos. New York: John Wiley and Sons, 1987.
- Morrison, Philip and Phylis, Powers of Ten. New York, Scientific American Library, 1982.
- Morrison, Philip, John Billingham and John Wolfe, editors, The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Washington DC, NASA SP-419, 1977. Reprinted by Dover Publications, New York, in 1979.
- Sagan, Carl, Pale Blue Dot. New York: Random House, 1994.
- Shklovskii, I.S., and Carl Sagan, Intelligent Life in the Universe. New York: Dell Publishing, 1966.
- Shuch, H. Paul, Tune In The Universe. Newington CT: ARRL, 2001.
- Smith, Steven W., The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing.California Technical Publishing, 1997.
- Sullivan, Walter, We Are Not Alone: The Continuing Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, Revised Edition. New York: Plume Books, 1993.
- Swift, David, SETI Pioneers. Tucson AZ: University of Arizona Press, 1990.
- Adler, Jerry, "Searching for a Real E.T." Newsweek, January 31, 1983, 64.
- Berman, Louis, "Eavesdropping on Other Worlds." QST, June 1993, 47-48.
- Bowyer, Stuart, et. al. "The Berkeley Parasitic SETI Program." Icarus 53, 1983, 147-155.
- Drentea, Cornell, "Radio Astronomy and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence." Ham Radio, March 1985, 10-35.
- Horowitz, Paul, and Carl Sagan, "Five Years of Project META: An all-sky narrow-band radio search for extraterrestrial signals." Astrophysical Journal 415, Sept 20, 1993, 218-235.
- Lichtman, Jeffery M. "Radio Astronomy and Other Civilizations." Satellite Times, January/February 1995, 72-73.
- Machol, Robert E. "An Ear to the Universe." IEEE Spectrum, March 1976, 42-47.
- Mechanic, Michael, "SETI's Big Galactic Gamble." Metro, December 22-28, 1994, 17-20.
- Moncrief, Frank J. "Searching for Life in the Microwave 'Water Hole'." Microwave Systems News, March 1978, 19-26.
- Oliver, Bernard M. "The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence." Engineering and Science, January 1975, 9-11 + 30-32.
- Sagan, Carl and Frank Drake, "The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. Scientific American, May 1975, 80-89.
- Scientific American, Life in the Universe, Special Issue, October 1994.
- Shuch, H. Paul, "Searching for Life Among the Stars. QST, August 1995, 37-39.
- Bioastronomy News, Planetary Society, 65 North Catalina Ave., Pasadena CA 91106.
- SearchLites, The SETI League, Inc., P.O. Box 555, Little Ferry NJ 07643.
- SETI News, SETI Institute, 2035 Landings Drive, Mountain View CA 94043.
Read more articles on this topic: